More about Professor Hamza
- 2021 Visiting Professor, University of Torino, Italy
- 2019 Sabbatical, Genetics and Molecular Biology Branch, NHGRI/NIH; Dr. David Bodine
- 2010-2011 Sabbatical, Translational and Functional Genomics Branch, NHGRI/NIH; Dr. Paul Liu
- 1997-2002 Postdoctoral Fellow, Washington University School of Medicine; Mentor: Dr. Jonathan Gitlin
- 1991-1997 Ph.D., Biochemistry, SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine; Mentor: Dr. Mark O'Brian
- 1985-1991 B.Sc. & M.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Bombay, India
- 2019 Chair, Gordon Research Conference, Cell Biology of Metals
- 2018 Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility Fellow, European Union (Lund University, Sweden)
- 2018 Chair, Gordon Research Conference, Chemistry and Biology of Tetrapyrroles
- 2017 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2012-16 Standing Member, Integrative Nutrition and Metabolic Processes Study Section, NIH
- 2012 Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- 2011 Faculty Excellence Award, AGNR, University of Maryland
- 2011 Excellence in Research, 44th Annual Alumni Awards Celebration, AGNR, University of Maryland
- 2010 Kirwan Faculty Research and Scholarship Prize
- 2010 Best Inventor Pitch, Professor Venture Fair, University of Maryland
- 2006 Junior Faculty Excellence Award, AGNR, University of Maryland
- 2005 Outstanding Invention of 2004, University of Maryland
- 2003 Member of Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
- 2002 NIH K01 Research Career Development Award, NIDDK
- 2001 Top 30 Outstanding Alumni, Canada World Youth, Montreal, Canada
- 2000 NIH Post-Doctoral NRSA Fellowship, NHLBI
- 1987 Duke of Edinburgh's Award Silver Standard
Professional activities (advisory panels, editorial boards, consulting):
Grant review panels:
NIH, Integrative Nutrition and Metabolic Processes (INMP) Study Section, NIH, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2016; 2011, AARA RC1, AARA R15, Special Emphasis Panel – ZRG1 EMNR-H, EMNR-P; NSF, Metabolic Biochemistry Study Section, 2003, 2004, 2006; Telethon Foundation (Comitato Telethon Fondazione ONLUS), Milan, Italy, 2003, 2006, 2015, 2016; Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) UK, 2006, 2014, 2015, 2018; March of Dimes 2010; Research Foundation - Flanders (Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek - Vlaanderen, FWO), Belgium 2012; Israel Science Foundation 2013; Barth Syndrome Foundation 2015.
Aging Research Reviews; American Journal of Hematology; Biochimica et Biophysica Acta; Blood; BMC Cell Biology; BMC Genomics; Cell Reports; Cell Stem Cell; Current Biology ; eLife; Eukaryotic Cell; Experimental Biology and Medicine; Experimental Cell Research; Experimental Parasitology; FASEB Journal; FEBS Letters; Food and Chemical Toxicology; Frontiers in Pharmacology; Frontiers in Immunology; Genetics; Genome Biology; Hematology; International Journal for Parasitology: Drugs and Drug Resistance; Journal of Biological Chemistry; Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry; Journal of Clinical Investigation; Journal of Molecular Biology; Journal of Nutrition; Molecular Metabolism; Nature; Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews; Pest Management Science; PLoS Biology; PLoS Computational Biology; PLoS Genetics; PLoS ONE; PLoS Pathogens; Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA; Science; Science Translational Medicine; Scientific Reports; The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; The American Journal of Physiology - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology; Toxicological Reports; Translational Research.
Editor: PNAS, eLife.
Editorial Board: eLife.
Founder and President: Rakta Therapeutics, Inc. (Incorporated: Sep 26, 2011).
Patent: Compounds for treating parasitic infections. Inventors: Iqbal Hamza, Fengtian Xue. Patent number: 10227320; Filed: May 6, 2016, Date of Patent: March 12, 2019
The University of Maryland
About the University
University of Maryland was founded in 1856. Today, as the flagship of the state's 13-campus university system, University of Maryland, College Park is home to more than 41,000+ students, 4,440+ faculty, and 250 academic programs. UMD is ranked No. 8 among public institutions for research and development spending and No. 14 overall in the National Science Foundation's Higher Education Research and Development Survey. UMD is ranked No. 19 among public research universities and No.15 among U.S. public institutions ranked as Best Global Schools by U.S. News & World Report (https://www.umd.edu/rankings-and-fast-facts).
The University of Maryland is a major public research university located on 1,340 acres of rolling land along the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. high-tech corridor. The campus is located in College Park, Maryland, a suburb of Washington DC just 15 minutes from downtown Washington DC. The area has many internationally recognized museums, monuments, libraries, theaters, and performing arts organizations. The campus lies in close proximity to a number of major research institutions including the National Institues of Health, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, United States Department of Agriculture, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Library of Congress, National Endowment for Humanities, National Science Foundation, Smithsonian, and the National Zoo. The Washington region encompasses large areas devoted to wildlife refuges and scenic parks including the waterways of Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia, from the Shenandoah and Appalachian Mountains to the Cheseapeake Bay and Assateague seashores.